A herniated disc is an injury to the discs that cushion your vertebrae. The discs are gel-like cushions that sit between the vertebrae, and act as shock absorbers for your spine. A herniated disc occurs when the gel-like center of the disc bulges out through a tear in the outer layer of the disc. This can put pressure on the spinal cord or the nerves that branch off from it.
Symptoms of a herniated disc include:
• Pain in the lower back, buttocks, or legs that gets worse with sitting, standing, or walking
• Numbness or tingling in the legs or feet
• Weakness in the legs
• Difficulty urinating
• Loss of bowel control
A herniated disc can be caused by a number of things, including:
• A sudden injury, such as a car accident
• Lifting something heavy
• Repeated motions that put stress on the discs, such as twisting or bending
• Wear and tear on the discs from aging
There are a number of factors that can increase your risk of developing a herniated disc, including:
• A job that requires you to lift heavy objects or twist your back
• Playing contact sports
• A sedentary lifestyle
A herniated disc is typically diagnosed with a physical exam and a review of your medical history. Your doctor will ask you about your symptoms and how they began. He or she will also likely order imaging tests, such as an MRI, to get a better look at your discs and spine.
Most herniated discs can be treated with conservative measures, such as:
• Ice or heat therapy
• Anti-inflammatory medications
• Physical therapy
• Epidural injections
If these measures don’t provide relief, your doctor may recommend surgery to remove the herniated disc.
There are a few things you can do to help prevent a herniated disc, including:
• Exercising regularly
• Maintaining a healthy weight
• Wearing low-heeled shoes
• Using proper lifting techniques
• Giving your back time to rest and recover if you’re doing an activity that puts stress on your spine
If you or a loved one has suffered a herniated disc injury in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. The best personal injury lawyers in Philadelphia can help you get the compensation you deserve.
A herniated disc is a serious injury that can cause a great deal of pain and suffering. If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be able to get compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
The best personal injury lawyers in Philadelphia have the experience and knowledge to get you the compensation you deserve. They will fight for your rights and get you the maximum compensation possible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact a Philadelphia injury lawyer today to schedule a free consultation.